Tuesday, July 8, 2008

A lesson on love


Love, what a vast subject. I've always wondered......
What makes a mother and father who didn't give birth, love their adopted child?

What makes humans love animals as their pets?

How can a man love someone who hurts him?

Over the years, I've known what it feels to love someone who loves you, but couldn't conceive the concept of loving the unlovable. The mean ones, the ones who it seems really don't care for another, the ones who hate the good and the kind.....
I thought it was to feel love for that person. I tried but couldn't feel love for the unlovable. But I was wrong, love was not just a feeling.
It was more than that. Quite a while ago, the Lord found it good to put me through a situation, where I was very uncomfortable.
I was in the midst of what you might call unlovable people. I didn't know how to love these people. In human terms, they hurt me, they lied about me, etc..

I felt like Joseph in prison. In spite of him doing all the right things, he was thrown in prison. What lead him to not be bitter or take revenge?

Now, I've realized that it was because he took all that happened to him as God's will for him. . After all our Lord only does good to those who love Him.
Our Lord Jesus is the best example. He loved us, the worst sinner. I was the unlovable person , He gave up His life for. He showed His Love in action. He met my need.

In the same way, in my situation, I asked the Lord to give me grace to walk in the Spirit and not in my flesh.
As the Lord led me, I started meeting the needs of these unlovable ones, I was placed with at this point in my life .
I said, " Lord, my flesh is weak, I can't do it on my own, please help me to walk in the Spirit."
The more I did and served these, the more and more I wanted to be used for them. Where was that coming from?
Surely it was not my flesh. I can say it was truly the Holy Spirit leading my spirit. I found that I was having pleasure in my spirit in serving these ones the Lord had placed in my path.
The more they tried to hurt me. I found myself meeting their needs and beyond. These could not repay me for all the good I had done to them.

I was doing it as unto the Lord. I guess , I can say, I've learnt a lesson in Love. Love is an action word,
I know, I've many more lessons to be learnt, the process is going to be difficult, nonetheless I'm willing, the end result brings me closer to my Lord whom I love.

I know it is for the good of mankind whom oh Lord, You Love so much!!

Love is only of God. Praise you ! Oh Lord. I love you Lord!

In the picture are our both daughters, pet parakeets, Sky in blue, and Angel in white whom they love dearly!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its amazing how you handled that situation. The article really talked to me

Sharon said...

You are SO right! It is very difficult to love those who hurt you. It is really impossible to do this in the flesh and can only be achieved through Christ's Spirit in us.

I had a situation where I had been praying for someone's Salvation and that person hurt someone I love very much. I found I could not pray for them anymore. It bothered me, so I told the Lord all about it and He made me realize that He loved us enough to die for us while we were still sinners. I then realized that I could love and pray for this person again through Christ's Love. I realized that Jesus died for them also. :) Still praying for their salvation.

Annie said...

I'm so glad it talked to your heart, Liz. Our God is an awesome God.

Annie said...

I agree with you, Sharon. I'm humbled all the time when I raise my perspective Heavenward. Praying for the salvation of that person who hurt your loved one.